Tuesday, January 25, 2011

This man



This man is very important to me. But before we get into that...

I have mentioned before that I do not hear God talking to me. My 4 year old tells me almost daily that she can hear Him, and I do not doubt her. But I can listen and listen and it is just quiet to me. But I know there are times that God is telling me to do something, even when I do not hear him. It is usually when I have been hit upside the head with a 2x4, like duh, Corrie, you should have know this.



So this happened to me today. It started last night actually while blog hopping. I went to check out the Women Living Well blog. I do not go there all the time, but every now and then, I do enjoy reading what Courtney has to say. I really liked her post last night about readers not trying to be her. We were all created exactly as God wants us to be and we should enjoy our uniqueness! It was good. Then I continued on through her older posts and came to her new marriage challenge. It started last week and I am not going to repeat it all here. But the first week's challenge is such... (copied from her blog)

Week 1 starts TODAY! Look for ways to praise your husband verbally. Praise him in front of the kids, friends, family, co-workers, on facebook, tweet it - get praise out anyway you can! Try to mention something noteworthy he has done - in his role as provider, father, husband, lover, or friend. If the thought of trying to come up with one terrifies you, then pray right now that God will give you new eyes to see your husband as God does. Then open your mouth and say something kind and uplifting to your husband today and tomorrow and the next day until Valentine's Day arrives!

So, I briefly considered the challenge last night, but that was all. I wasn't going to go through with it. Then this morning arrived.



This man, whom I love so much, who I cannot even imagine a life without, confessed to me his worries, fears, insecurities, stresses and weaknesses. All this on the drive into work. All of this after I had been whining about how hard my day was going to be. How bad yesterday was for me. And I felt horrible. He takes on so much, at home and at work. He supports us financially and me emotionally. He works from early morning until late at night. He volunteers weekly at our church. He gives everything he can anytime he can. What a schmuck I was to just only think about myself. I didn't even know all of what was on his mind and shoulders until today. Hello God! There was that 2x4 to the head that told me that I needed to participate in this challenge and do everything I could to support him and let him know I support him!

So here, I go for him...



My husband is really wonderful. I love him more than I can contain most of the time. I seriously feel my heart bursting when I am with him. He is my favorite travel partner, my favorite person to bum around on the beach with. I love our time to sit around and talk, like warm spring evenings on the porch. I love that I can be myself around him. He is respected at work, with both his coworkers and clients. He is honest and has integrity. He is giving with his time, resources and energy. My girls ADORE him, they take after me. We love him so much!

So tonight I will be more aware of my complaining and more sensitive to his needs. I will kiss him like I mean it, so he will know I mean it. And I will make sure he knows how much I love him and how much he means to me.

Today's gratitude:

1. I am grateful for an incredible husband.
2. I am grateful for an amazing father for my children.
3. I am grateful for God who brought us together!

A little humor at the end of this really long post... Here is one of the first layouts that I ever made years ago. It is of my man. I remember being so proud of this one, having used my Sizzix I had just ought on eBay for the letters and the punched circles. Fun, fun!

2 comments:

  1. "Be still and know that I am God".
    I always think that if I follow that, I might actually hear him- but I, too, hardly ever get anything but that 2x4. Maybe it is the inner control freak? After a long history, I now assume that doors opening (or closing) are my signs :P
    Anyway, I really like this- a good reminder for all of us old married folk to be kinder and take our mates less for granted

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. I actually really like your early layout even with all its simplicity - still good design :)

    ReplyDelete